The 540 features a CNC machined cylinder block packed with Mercury Racing designed components, including a balanced crankshaft, forged and shot-peened I-beam connecting rods and forged aluminum pistons.
A carburized hardened camshaft is used for enhanced durability. Performance cam profiles, combined with larger valves, flow more air through the engine for greater power and torque. Increased displacement, combined with enhanced airflow, results in unprecedented mid-range punch and consistent pull through the engine rpm range.
The 540 complies with EPA emissions requirements. CARB (California Air Resources Board) emissions compliant models are available upon special request.
- 8.6 Liter multiport fuel injected V-8 engine features a premium forged micro- alloy crankshaft, induction hardened and precision balanced for maximum performance.
- Precision CNC machined, cast iron cylinder block features large 4.560-inch cylinder bores for enhanced power and torque.
- Forged 4340 steel, I – beam, shot-peened connecting rods.
- Forged aluminum pistons for maximum strength and durability.
- Mercury Racing aluminum cylinder heads feature optimized valve angles for improved air flow.
- Carburized hardened cam shaft for enhanced durability.
- Performance cam profiles, combined with larger valves, pack more air into the combustion chamber for greater power and torque.
- Sweeper headers feature a corrosion resistant alloy for enhanced durability in the corrosive saltwater environment.
- Broad torque band for enhanced hole shot, unprecedented mid-range punch and consistent pull through the engine operating range.
- Digital electronic throttle and shift for smooth, “Zero Effort” operation.
- The engine propulsion control module (PCM) optimizes fuel and spark control for each cylinder independently, enhancing engine running quality and performance.
- Engine Guardian monitors engine functions to forewarn of possible problems that could lead to engine damage.
- Fuel delivery is ensured with twin electric fuel pumps operated in a water- cooled housing.
- The thermostatically-controlled oil system ensures faster oil warm up. The high-capacity cooler maintains good oil temp under all operating conditions.
- Closed-cooling system features five-year coolant, for reduced maintenance and increased corrosion protection.
- 65-amp (917-watt) charging system.
- Two year limited warranty for recreational boating.
- Suitable For: Catamaran Race, Catamaran Sport/Poker Runner, Sport Cruiser, Vee-Bottom Race, Vee-Bottom Sport/Poker Runner